- Russia, Europe and NASA explore ocean depths of Jupiter’s Europa from the Russian website Pravda. Looks like the Russians are continuing to push their desire to send a lander to Europa.
- It's all systems go for Europa from the Los Angeles Times. The article focuses a bit on the local angle via the Jet Propulsion Laboratory.
- NASA Puts Money on Mission to One of Jupiter's Moons from the Washington Post
- Bold New Missions to Jupiter and Saturn Planned from Space.com
- Europa Selected As Target of Next Flagship Mission from Slashdot (yeah my first approved slashdot article)
- Europa wins next big planetary mission from Nature
Thursday, February 19, 2009
Quite a few news articles have been posted online about the selection of the Europa/Jupiter System Mission as the next Outer Planet Flagship Mission. Many of these report on a telecon between NASA officials and a few members of the press yesterday about this announcement. Perhaps the most interesting new news from this telecon is that the flagship mission is currently not fully funded (though budget projection in the last year have taken into account the flagship mission), though according to Space.com, "NASA is setting aside about $10 million to continue studying design challenges for its Jupiter Europa orbiter."